This is a salad lovers dream and will make everyone want to eat more salad. This Spring Salad celebrates spring’s healthy vegetables with the addition of forbidden rice. Forbidden rice is softer and smaller than wild rice, and once cooked, it turns a deep purple color with a nutty texture. We used fresh English peas, that almost taste like they just came from the garden. This salad is fresh and green and ohhhhhh the egg on top is so inviting. We love anything with an egg on top and this is no exception! Preparing the egg is easy, delicious and is guaranteed to produce a perfect egg every time.
|Serves: 4 (as a side dish) 2 as a main dish|
|Prep Time: 20 minutes|
|Cook Time: 2o minutes|
1 cup forbidden rice, cooked (makes 2 cups cooked, be careful it stains!)
1 cup peas, fresh or frozen (we used fresh english peas)
½ pound asparagus, tough ends removed (quickly blanched and shocked)
4 radishes, sliced thin with a knife or a mandoline
4 soft boiled eggs (see instructions below)
freshly ground black pepper
- In a small colander, rinse the rice 2 or 3 times. Rinsing will remove the surface starches and prevent the rice from clumping.
- In a stock pot, add 2 cups of water and 1 cup of forbidden rice. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 20-35 minutes, or until the water is absorbed. Turn off the heat and leave the pot to sit for 15 minutes. Do not stir. Fluff the rice with a fork and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the rice and the peas.
- Break the asparagus off where tough end starts. In a stock pot, bring about 2 inches of water to a boil. Blanche the asparagus in the pot for 1 minute. Remove the asparagus from the pot and drop into ice water to stop the cooking process.
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave the asparagus into thin strips. Toss the strips with the rice and peas. Cut off the asparagus tips and toss into the salad.
- Sprinkle the top of the salad with the radish slices.
- Pour the dressing (recipe below) over the top of the salad and gently toss. Distribute to individual plates.
- Peel and add the soft boiled egg to the top of each salad (instructions below). Cut or smash the egg to release the yolk.
- Top with freshly ground pepper and serve.
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon Champagne Vinegar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 shallot, minced
10 mint leaves, chiffonade
In a small bowl, add all of the dressing ingredients and whisk to combine.
SOFT BOILED EGGS
This process worked so well on every egg!
- In a large pot, bring ½ inch of water to a boil.
- Add 4 cold eggs into the pot; cover and cook for 6 ½ minutes.
- Immediately remove the eggs from the pot and put them into an ice bath to chill.
- Peel and re-warm the eggs by holding them under hot tap water.