This is Grandma Toots’ potato salad. It is the creamy kind with the crunch of vegetables. Every time I make it, and every time I taste it, I think of all of the family events where this was enjoyed. Every family gathering, confirmation, graduation, pre-wedding, everything! Even people in our family that do not like potato salad, like this one. This recipe can easily be doubled. So many of the recipes were never written down. My Aunt was kind enough to make it, and write it down. Thank you Audre, it is delicious and tastes just the way I remember it.
Makes: 12 cups
Serves: 12 or less
Prep time: 1 hour
2 ½ pounds red potatoes (new potatoes work the best), boiled with the skins on
9 eggs, hard boiled and cooled
5 stalks of celery, chopped (about 2 cups)
1 bunch of scallions, green and white part, chopped
8-10 radishes, sliced thin
2 cups of Hellman’s mayonnaise
2 cups of Miracle Whip
2 tablespoons of granulated sugar (to taste)
¾ cup of whipping cream or half and half
½ tablespoon of vinegar
1 tablespoon of Grey Poupon mustard
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon white pepper
- In a pot, boil potatoes in salted water with the skins on, until soft but still firm, about 15 minutes. Refrigerate when cooled. (I do this the night before I am going to make the potato salad).
- Hard boil eggs. Peel, cool, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, peel (optional, I do not peel) and cut the potatoes into one inch cubes.
- Chop celery, add to bowl with potatoes.
- Chop scallions, add to bowl (save some green for garnish).
- Slice radishes, add to bowl. Mix vegetables together.
- Slice eggs and add to bowl of vegetables.
- In a medium size bowl, mix mayonnaise, miracle whip, sugar, whipping cream, vinegar mustard, salt, and white pepper. Pour over potatoes, vegetables, and eggs. Mix together.
- Chill until ready to serve.
SERVING: Garnish with green part of scallions.
HINT: It is best to boil the potatoes the night before you make the potato salad.