I have tried so many clam chowder recipes! I combined the best parts of the recipes I liked to make this one. This is a milky chowder not thickened with flour; your spoon will not stand on end in this dish. It feels fresh and clean so you can taste the clams. When we have family events and everyone is coming at different times, I have a pot of this clam chowder ready to heat up when they arrive. I like to serve it with a crusty loaf of bread. I keep canned clams stocked in my pantry for an array of dishes including my Kittery Clam Dip when I need a quick appetizer.
Serves 4 as a main course and 6 as a first course
Prep Time: About 10 min
Cook Time: About 35 min
4 6.5 oz cans of chopped clams (SNOW’S Canned Clams are my favorite)
3 bacon strips, coarsely chopped
1 large white or yellow onion, chopped
1 pound unpeeled red or white potatoes, cut into a ¾ inch dice
2 cups whole milk
1 12 ounce can evaporated milk (not sweetened condensed)
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Drain the clams in a colander, reserving the juice. Set both aside.
- In a large soup pot, over medium heat, cook the bacon; about 10 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon onto a plate with lined a paper towel, leaving the bacon fat in the pot. Set aside.
- Add the onion to the pot with the bacon fat and cook until it begins to soften; about 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and enough reserved clam juice to cover the potatoes. If you do not have enough clam juice, you can add water. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the potatoes are tender; about 10-15 minutes. Do not overcook.
- Add the milk, evaporated milk, butter and clams. Simmer over low heat until the butter melts and the clams are warmed, about 5 minutes.
- Add the reserved bacon and parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately or cool and refrigerate.
SERVING: Serve hot with a crusty loaf of bread. Re-warm gently.
STORING: Refrigerated in an airtight container, will last up to 2 days.