Hot Italian Sausage Tomato Soup is a rustic, hearty, easy to make soup. It’s great with crusty bread and a salad. I keep hot Italian sausage in the freezer so I have it on hand when I am looking for a quick meal. You can add tortellini or ravioli of your choice, to make it more substantial. We like it both ways, and have included a photo below with cheese tortellini. The key to the flavor is the best hot Italian sausage you can find.
Serves: 4 without pasta added, 6 with pasta
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Hint: If you can only find sweet Italian sausage, add a 1/2 teaspoon of dried red pepper flakes.
Four links (about 1 pound) hot Italian sausages, casing removed
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 – 28 ounce can of whole plum tomatoes (San Marzano is my favorite), DO NOT DRAIN
1 cup water
1 teaspoon dried basil or 1 tablespoon fresh basil (if using fresh basil save extra for garnish)
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 pound cheese filled tortellini or ravioli (optional)
Parmesan-Reggiano cheese, grated (for garnish)
Fresh basil, chiffonade (for garnish)
- Remove sausages from their casings into a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a large Dutch oven or stock pot, over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Sauté the sausage in a single layer until cooked through, (breaking up sausage links with back of wooden spoon or fork).
- Add the tomatoes, water, basil, salt and pepper. Mash the tomatoes carefully with a potato masher.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Prepare pasta according to package directions and add to soup at the end.
GARNISH: Parmesan-Reggiano cheese, grated, and fresh basil chiffonade.
SERVING: Serve with crusty bread and a green salad.
STORAGE: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days; freeze for up to 2 months.
Le Crueset Cast Iron Pot
OXO Wooden Spoon
It looks so delicious and so easy to make. We love a good Italian sauce, so we’ll definitely be trying this one very soon!
Thanks Bisi! Let us know which one you like better.