This appetizer recipe for Scallops with Spiced Bacon is from my friend Ed. It was one of my favorite appetizers that he used to make for us, he made so many good ones. It is easy and so addictive that you cannot eat just one. Bacon is so good with scallops especially when the bacon has a mixture of brown sugar, curry powder and cayenne. It is a bit spicy and you can make it even spicier if you add more cayenne. I have made this in a half batch as well and it works great!
Makes: 28 pieces
Prep Time: about 20-30 minutes
Cook Time: about 6 minutes under the broiler
6 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon curry powder
½ teaspoon cayenne
14 bacon slices (about ¾ of a pound)
14 large sea scallops (fresh or frozen), about 1 pound, cut in half, crosswise
28 wooden toothpicks
- In a small bowl, stir together the brown sugar, curry powder and cayenne. Set aside.
- In a 12 inch skillet, over medium heat, cook the bacon in batches, until some of the fat is rendered and the edges start to turn brown, but the bacon is still flexible. About 2 minutes per batch. Transfer the bacon to a pan with paper towels to drain and cool.
- Preheat broiler and spray a cooling rack and the sheet pan underneath it.
- Cut partially cooked and cooled bacon in half crosswise.
- Divide the sugar mixture among the slices, spreading evenly and lightly pressing to adhere to the bacon.
- Place a scallop half, cut side down, on each slice of sugar coated bacon.
- Wrap the bacon around the scallop and secure with a toothpick. Transfer to the prepared baking rack, overlap side down.
- Broil the scallops 4-5 inches from the heat, broil for 3 minutes, then turn them over so the overlapped side is facing upward and broil for another 3 minutes. About 6 minutes total.
Hint: Soak the toothpicks in water before you use them so they will not burn as much as mine did.