I know this is a very basic recipe, but I have tried many different pound cake recipes and this is my favorite. If you are looking for a pound cake that is dense enough to stand up to fruit, sauces, and ice cream, and has the butter taste that you are looking for in a standard pound cake, this is the one. This is a combination of Fannie Farmer and Nick Malgieri recipes. I use this recipe for so many things, but, one of my summer favorites is Grilled Pound Cake Kabobs with Chocolate Ganache and whip cream.
Makes: One 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf cake
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Bake Time: About 1 hour
½ pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup of granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
5 large eggs, at room temperature
2 cups cake flour (spoon flour into dry-measure cup and level off), sift after measuring
Raspberry Sauce Recipe
Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees F. Prepare 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan, buttered, floured and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Using a stand-up mixer with paddle attachment, place the butter and sugar in the bowl and beat at medium speed until very light, about 5 minutes.
- Beat in the vanilla.
- Beat in 3 of the eggs, one at a time, beating until smooth after each addition.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and beat in ⅓ of the flour, then another egg, beating until smooth after each addition. Scrape the bottom and the sides of the bowl when necessary.
- Beat in another ⅓ of the flour, then, after the flour is well mixed, beat in the final egg. Scrape the bottom and the sides of the bowl and beat in the last of the flour.
- Pour into the prepared loaf pan and smooth the top with a rubber spatula.
- Bake for about 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. The cake should be cracked on top, and lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on a rack for 5 minutes, then turn out onto the rack to cool completely. Turn right side up to finish cooling.
- Wrap cake in plastic wrap and then foil so it doesn’t dry out, and serve within a few days.
Serving: Raspberry Sauce Recipe
Leave a Reply