I made these Smashed Potatoes with Chives for a dinner with friends and they were serving steak. I needed to bring something that would transport easily and that I could finish when I got to their house. They are crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside. They are delicious with beef, lamb and chicken.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Boil Time: 20 minutes
Bake Time: 30-40 minutes
2 pounds red potatoes, scrubbed (try to get each one about the same size)
1 tablespoon sea salt
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided use
2 tablespoons fresh chives, minced. (Optional)
Fleur de sel or sea salt for garnish
Preheat oven to 400° F. Brush a sheet pan including sides with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- In a large pot, place the potatoes and 1 tablespoon of salt and add enough water to cover the potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for about 20 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
- Drain the potatoes and place them on a towel or paper towel to dry.
- Place the potatoes on the oiled sheet pan. With a meat mallet or the back of a measuring cup, or a cast-iron skillet, press each potato to flatten it. It should be about ½ inch thick (it will make a mess, it’s ok). Drizzle with the remaining olive oil. Sprinkle with salt.
- Bake the potatoes for about 35-40 minutes, until the skins have become golden brown and crispy. (This is where you can stop if you are making them ahead of time).
- Sprinkle the potatoes with chives and Fleur de Sel and serve hot.
NOTES: Can also be served with chives and sour cream or blue cheese sprinkled on top.