We had friends coming for dinner and were trying to be creative and try something new, without being too complicated. I really like that Roasted Chicken Thighs with Cannellini Beans is easy and can be made in one hour, so this was perfect! The mustard and olive oil give the chicken thighs a really nice crust, and the beans are such a flavorful and healthy addition.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 45 minutes
4 (15-ounce) cans Cannellini Beans, drained and rinsed
4 tablespoons capers with brine
2 lemons, thinly sliced, seeds removed, extra reserved for garnish
8 chicken thighs, bone in, skin on
8 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 cup of water
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, coarsely chopped (optional)
Preheat oven to 425° F. I used a 9¾ ×14 baking dish, a 9×13 works as well.
- Toss beans and capers into your baking dish and spread out evenly on the bottom of the pan.
- Lay 8 slices of lemon on top of the beans and capers.
- Place the chicken thighs, skin side up, on top of the lemon slices.
- Spread 1 teaspoon of mustard on the skin of each chicken thigh.
- Carefully add about 1 cup of water to come up the sides of the chicken by ½ inch. (Do not pour the water over the mustard).
- Drizzle chicken with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast the chicken, on the middle rack of the oven, until the skin is browned, about 35-45 minutes. If the chicken starts to get too brown, put it on a lower rack in the oven.
- Transfer the chicken, beans, lemon slices and capers to a serving platter. Spoon some of the pan sauce (it is delicious) around the chicken and sprinkle with parsley (optional) and the reserved fresh lemon slices.
Serve: With crusty bread and side salad.