The French approach to the aperitif hour is usually very simple. I took the same approach with this Parmesan Crisps recipe. There are only two ingredients in the recipe. A dear friend recommended this cookbook to me, it is “A French Approach on Southern Cooking”. I made these for a French meal that we were having at the same friend’s house, they were making steak and frites, my absolute favorite. So I made Parmesan Crisps and Cherry Clafouti, that is for another day.
Makes: about 12 crisps, can easily be doubled or tripled
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 8-10 minutes
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, not grated, preferably Parmigiano-Reggiano
Freshly ground pepper (I used Peppercorn Melange, Black, White, Green with Pink
Preheat the oven to 425° F.
- Line a heavy baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place a small (1 ½ inch biscuit cutter on the parchment paper and pour in 1 tablespoon of shredded Parmesan into the circle.
- Repeat, spacing the piles about 1 ½ inches apart.
- Bake for about 8-10 minutes, until the cheese has melted and the crisps are beginning to become golden brown. Watch them in the last couple of minutes, they will turn brown very quickly.
- Remove from the oven and while the crisps are still hot, grind pepper over the tops.
- Remove the crisps from the baking sheet with a spatula onto a cooling rack.
Serving: Once cool either serve them or store them in an airtight container.
Storage: They will keep at least a week in an airtight container. Can also be frozen.