You will notice a distinct, earthy aroma when you are roasting the beets, which is one of my favorite smells in the kitchen. This Roasted Beet, Blue Cheese Salad is a combination of your favorite lettuce, soft blue cheese, all dressed with a walnut oil vinaigrette, with just a little bit of fall in the air.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour or more
Preheat oven to 350° F.
For the beets:
4 beets, any variety, trimmed
2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Arrange the beets in a single layer on a sheet pan with parchment paper. Drizzle with the olive oil, add ½ teaspoon of salt, and the pepper, toss to coat.
- Roast until the beets are easily pierced with a fork, 1 hour or more, depending on their size. Set aside to cool.
- When the beets are cool enough to handle, remove and discard the skins with with your fingers or with a knife. Cube or slice the beets.
For the dressing:
1 Tablespoon walnut oil
1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
¼ sea salt
For the salad:
4 cups arugula ( I used my favorite from Lef, called Balance)
2 ounces soft blue cheese such as Gorgonzola, crumbled or
cut into small pieces
- In a salad bowl, whisk together the walnut oil, sherry vinegar and the ¼ teaspoon of sea salt. Add the lettuce and half of the beets and toss to coat well.
- Arrange the lettuce mixture on a plate or platter and top with the remaining beets and blue cheese. Serve at once.
Serve: With crusty bread or baguette.