I seem to say this often, but I have had this recipe since 1981. I had to share it. I had forgotten how easy and delicious this cake is. When zucchini is fresh from the garden, it is a must to make, and the chocolate just makes it even better.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: about 50 minutes
2 ½ cups all purpose flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa
2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons expresso powder
1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks), room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups zucchini, coarsely grated
½ cup milk
1 cup nuts, chopped (optional)
Butter or spray a 9-10 inch tube (bundt) pan. Dust with cocoa powder, shake out excess. Preheat oven to 350 ° F.
- In a medium size bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and expresso powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, with a hand mixer or a stand up mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar until smooth.
- Add the eggs one at a time.
- Stir in the vanilla and the zucchini.
- Add the dry ingredients alternating with the milk, stir.
- Add the nuts (optional).
- Spoon into prepared pan.
- Bake for about 50 minutes (until cake tester comes out clean).
- Cool in pan on rack for 15 minutes. Turn onto rack and cool completely.
SERVE: Really good all by itself and even better with whip cream or vanilla ice cream.
HINT: Use a food processor with the grater attachment to grate the zucchini.