I know, it is another soup recipe. This Cauliflower Soup has become one of my favorite soups to make and eat. I puree the soup with my immersion blender, so it is smooth. The flavors are layered with cauliflower, potato, cayenne, Monterey Jack cheese and garnished with chives and bacon. The soup leaves a nice spicy taste in your mouth after every spoonful.
Prep Time: about 15-20 minutes
Cook Time: about 35 minutes
8 slices of bacon, cut into small pieces, cook and set aside for garnish
1 spanish onion, finely diced
1 head cauliflower, cut into small florets
4 medium red potatoes, un-peeled and cut into chunks
½ to 1 teaspoon cayenne (depends on how spicy you like it, I used 1 teaspoon)
½ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
8 cups low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
3 cups half and half
3 cups Monterey Jack cheese, grated
Bacon pieces, garnish
Chives, cut on diagonal, garnish
- In a large pot, over medium-high heat, cook the bacon pieces until crisp, about 5 minutes. Drain the bacon on a paper towel and set aside. Carefully pour off most of the grease and return the pot to the stove.
- Add the onions to the pot and cook over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes. Add the cauliflower, sprinkle with the cayenne and black pepper and cook, stirring, until the cauliflower starts turning a golden brown, about 3-4 minutes. Add the potatoes.
- Stir in the broth, bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for about 15-20 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the mixture slightly or as much as you want. I used an immersion blender, to almost smooth consistency. (You can also use a regular blender, but be very careful, do not fill it too full.)
- Add the half and half and cheese, bring to a gentle boil for 3 -5 minutes to melt
Garnish: Bacon pieces and chives.